Sunday, August 21, 2011

Perfect Afternoon

Ya know how when you see something cute/cool/great/awe-inspiring/beautiful, you just want to take a picture of it so you can always look back at it and remember how cute/cool/great/awe-inspiring/beautiful it really was??  Well, I had that happen today, and I wanted to take a picture so desperately, but I didn't have my camera, and well, it really was more of a moment or a span of moments, and so I just laid there, in my "boat" aka raft, in the pool, watching my 2 sweet babies interacting with each other and nature with no words shared. I stared to intently at them, as if to engrave their actions and movements into my forever memory bank. 

My sweet Cale had was chasing some sort of bugs.  Was it a grasshopper, butterfly, locust, fly?  I have no idea. I never saw what the sweet boy was chasing.  He would investigate it intently, hands on bent knees, focused on the spot of grass in front of him, then he would JUMP UP and run this way and that, until the tiny creature landed again.  And he would assume his inquisitive stance, knees bent, hands on knees, face toward the spot of grass. This continued on for some time, so sweet, so innocent, so wonderful. 

Just a little behind Cale, I could see Miss Jenna, doing her own little thing.  Wet headed, arms stuck straight out because of her flowery floaties, and her little self bopping up and down in her ruffled two piece swimming suit, she was much entertained by the tomato garden. She slowly walked up and down the rows of plants, no doubt on her tippy toes, so as to spare her tiny feet some of the pain of the hard dirt, up and down each row, looking at the tall plants, the green leaves, the red tomatoes.  She finally popped out of the garden and toddled over to the swing set, pushing each empty swing into the air, singing "swing, swing, swing, swing."  After a few minutes of swinging the swings, she decided to join her brother in the bug investigation.  So then they both assume the investigation stance...so. aboslutelyadorable.  All the while, I was laying in my raft, skin warm from the sun and  heart warm with love for my kids and filled with awe of God's creations, cool water beneath me, blue skies above me, fluffy white clouds just still, like my heart, like my kids, for just these few moments.
Eventually they tired of this, Cale got hot and jumped back in the pool, Jenna started running and hollering. Sweet moment over.  Engraving done. 

1 comment:

Captain Murdock {Godwilladd.com} said...

Oh, that sounds like a glorious afternoon. Appreciating the wonder of our children and getting to sit in a raft in a pool all by yourself (sort of).

You do really have precious, sweet, amazing lil kiddos!